Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser removes poison ivy, oak and
sumac from tools to help prevent coming in contact with the oil
later. If your gardening tools have come in contact with poison ivy
or oak, clean your tools before storing them for future use.
Poison ivy, oak and sumac rashes are caused by your skin's
reaction to the plants' oil, a substance that can be difficult to
get rid of. This oil is called urushiol (pronounced oo-roo-she-all)
and it can spread easily on skin and sit for years on the surface
of objects such as gardening tools and equipment.
When coming in contact with poison ivy, oak or sumac while
gardening, your tools can pick up urushiol. Unless the urushiol is
washed away with a cleanser that can break up and remove the oil,
it can stay on the surface for a long time. It is a good idea to
clean up your tools after use and before storing for the winter so
that you will not have to remember if they have been in contact
with poison plants.
The video above shows how to use Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser to remove
the rash-causing oil from your tools.