When it comes to poison oak and poison ivy rash there can be a
great deal of questions! Not to mention, all of the hub-bub found
on the internet can be quite confusing! As the trusted name in
poison oak and ivy for over 50 years, we've gathered a bit of
knowledge over the years and compiled a few of the most frequently
asked questions and answers to help you when the dreaded rash comes
a knocking at your door!
What does poison ivy and oak look like?
Poison ivy and oak have leaflets of three, change colors
throughout the season, and may have berries. See our images of the
plants for reference. (linkto:
Do the blisters cause poison ivy and oak rash to spread?
Thinking that breaking blisters cause the rash to spread is a
very common misconception. However, the only way for the rash to
spread is for the rash-causing oil, urushiol, to spread. Blisters
are caused by your body's immune response to urushiol after is has
bonded with your skin.
Should I cover the rash with bandages?
It is a good idea to cover the rash only when necessary as
oxygen may help it heal faster. If you do cover the rash, be sure
to use loose bandages.
Should I break the blisters?
Blisters caused by poison ivy or oak is your body's way of
removing the toxin. It is best not to break the blisters but allow
them to run their course. If the blisters are painful, you should
consult your doctor.
How long will poison ivy or oak rash last?
This is probably one of the most common questions we get asked.
It is very difficult to answer because everyone's immune system
reacts differently. The average person usually experiences a rash
for 2-4 weeks. If your rash is severe, red, feels hot, or if you
experience other signs of possible infection, you should consult
your doctor immediately.
How can I relieve the itching?
Over-the-counter anti-itch medications, such as Calagel or Tecnu
Rash Relief may help relieve symptoms. If you are not finding
success with OTC's or if you have a severe rash, your doctor may
recommend prescription medications such as prednisone.
Does bleach help with poison ivy or oak rash?
Bleach can be very damaging to your skin and may cause
irritation. Avoid using bleach as it may cause your condition to
Still have questions? Feel free to send it in to us.
Click here for a FREE PDF download