We too, need Tecnu

By Caileen  |  Friday, November 8, 2013  |  , , , ,  |  Leave comment

Manufacturers are consumers too…Poison oak plant causing unexpected rash

Dear Friends,

I often ask my co-workers for blog post ideas from time to time, in an effort to keep things interesting. They never fail to disappoint! Recently my co-worker Jessica sent me an email with a couple of photos attached, one of her dad, and one of her… both suffering from a bout of poison oak after their latest hunting trek. It's that time of year, the deer in the NW are aplenty! A part of me was bummed for the two of them having gotten into the oak, while the other part of me was giddy and excited for a couple of great pics, and an entertaining blog post topic! I won't tell you which part of me was the greater half, I don't want any of you getting the wrong idea and thinking I'm insensitive! But, between this post, and the one I wrote about my hubby, I may have already branded myself!

At some point Jessica thinks she sat her gun down and without realizing it, later came into contact with urushiol (rash-causing oil from poison oak, ivy, and sumac) when she squared up for a shot, resting the butt of the rifle against her shoulder. She's fortunate that she caught her exposure pretty early; she washed with Tecnu Original at the first sign of the rash, and followed up with Calagel. Unfortunately, her dad wasn't quite as lucky!

Performing his Dad-ly duties, Jessica's pop crawled right into a thicket of berry briars in hopes of jumping her buck. Regrettably, his eagerness took him straight through a patch that was cleverly disguising some poison oak plants that had dropped their leaves for the season. When the rash appeared, he mentioned that he "saw some twigs that looked like P.O., but there was no other way," what a guy!

In the end, it wasn't all for nothing! Jess' dad ended up jumping his own buck, which he intends (being the good father that he is) to share! Looks like Jess has some prime steak cuts and jerky coming her way!

The moral of the story is, even a retired biology teacher of 35 years, and an employee of Tec Labs, (makers of Tecnu and Tecnu Extreme) can find themselves vulnerable to the oak and ivy! A big thanks to Jess for sharing this story with me, and in turn with you my dear readers; and a reminder to you, keep your peepers open and trust your instincts when you venture outdoors, if you think its poison oak (or, ivy) it probably is! But, if you've got to go after that buck, be sure to have your trusted oak and ivy cleanser on hand!

Until next time!

The intention of this blog is to be an informational resource for our customers. We are not medical professionals and are not distributing medical advice. Any questions you have about your health should be directed to a physician. We want to hear from you and welcome your comments - please note all comments submitted will be moderated and we reserve the right to refuse to publish any comment that may be negative, contain foul language, suggest medical advice, or offer tips that may be harmful to our readers. It is not our intention to defame, purge, discriminate or humiliate any party directly or indirectly in any way. We do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information or content contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website. If you have a question or concern that must be replied to right away, please call 1-800-482-4464.

Post a comment

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.


©2017 Tec Laboratories Inc. | 1-800-482-4464 | 7100 Tec Labs Way SW, Albany, OR 97321 | Contact Us