Six Legged Blood Suckers

By Caileen  |  Friday, November 2, 2012  |  , ,  |  Leave comment

Six legged blood suckers…

Mosquitoes can carry West Nile VirusBlood suckers are lurking; the six legged insect kind that is.  Recently the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced in a news release that the threat of West Nile Virus is not yet over.  Many states have posted record numbers of reported cases, for a total reaching well above 4,700 throughout the entire U.S.; 48 states have reported West Nile Virus in humans, mosquitoes, and birds.  Health officials note that 80% of those infected develop few or no symptoms, while the remaining 20% will experience mild symptoms.

Signs to look for:

  • Headache
  • Joint Pain
  • Fever
  • Skin Rash
  • Swollen Lymph Glands

If you experience any of these symptoms, the CDC recommends seeing your doctor right away.  Alright, we know this post sounds scary, but don't get yourself worked into a panic.  As with many things, the solution is PREVENTION! Below are steps you can follow to keep you and your family safe:

  • Use insect repellents such as our 10 Hour Insect Repellent when you venture outdoors (really lasts 10 hours!)
  • Wear long sleeve shirts and pants from dawn until dusk
  • Avoid leaving standing water outside in open containers (mosquito breeding grounds, ew!) such as: flower pots, buckets, kiddie pools, etc.
  • Install or repair windows and door screens
  • Avoid leaving windows and doors open, forgetting to close windows and doors is an open invitation!

Take a deep breath and relax, there is no need to spend your time fretting and stressing!  Simply follow the tips above (courtesy of the CDC) and you will significantly lessen your chances of becoming a delightful morsel to mosquitoes near you!

The intention of this blog is to be an informational resource for our customers. We are not medical professionals and are not distributing medical advice. Any questions you have about your health should be directed to a physician. We want to hear from you and welcome your comments - please note all comments submitted will be moderated and we reserve the right to refuse to publish any comment that may be negative, contain foul language, suggest medical advice, or offer tips that may be harmful to our readers. It is not our intention to defame, purge, discriminate or humiliate any party directly or indirectly in any way. We do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information or content contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website. If you have a question or concern that must be replied to right away, please call 1-800-482-4464.

Post a comment

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.


©2017 Tec Laboratories Inc. | 1-800-482-4464 | 7100 Tec Labs Way SW, Albany, OR 97321 | Contact Us