Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser removes poison ivy, oak and sumac rash causing oil, urushiol, from your skin. Wash with it after exposure to poison ivy, oak or sumac plants to remove the oil before a rash starts, or after the rash has begun to keep the oil from spreading to other parts of your body.

Poison ivy, oak and sumac rashes are all caused by the same resinous oil produced by the plants called urushiol (pronounced oo-roo-she-all).  The rash is caused by your body's allergic reaction to urushiol resulting in an itchy, bumpy rash that can produce blisters filled with fluid. A common misconception is that breaking the blisters will cause the fluid to flow and therefore spread the rash. If your poison ivy, oak or sumac rash is spreading, it is because the rash-causing oil is spreading.

An important step to ending your poison plant rash misery is to remove the urushiol oil from your skin. Washing with Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser will remove the oil so that your skin can begin it's healing process. Since everyone's immune system is different, a poison ivy, oak or sumac rash may last anywhere from a few days to several weeks depending on how long it takes your body to heal.