Why You Need a Poison Ivy Shower

By Caileen  |  Monday, June 1, 2015  |  , ,  |  2 comments

Dear Readers:Real Tecnu Shower Station

Are you a wild-land firefighter that has found yourself at a camp for weeks on end battling fire and poison ivy simultaneously? Are you an elite athlete competing in the ultimate sport of adventure racing that often runs into these noxious plants? Do you frequent the great outdoors to camp, hike, bike, fish, trail run, or garden, and find yourself face-to-face with poison ivy? If you answered yes to any of these, you are in need of a poison ivy shower! OK, not a poison ivy shower per se, rather a shower for poison ivy (or poison oak). But, first you need to know the poison ivy basics:

  • Poison oak, ivy, and sumac all contain the same rash-causing oil called urushiol.
  • Nearly 85% of the population is allergic to this oil.
  • Urushiol can last on items such as clothing, tools, equipment etc. for months, even years!
  • Once absorbed (typically within 8 hours after exposure), urushiol bonds with the protein in your skin to cause an itchy, red rash. In some cases blisters form (your body's natural reaction), and the rash may ooze.
  • Studies suggest that over time, with increased exposure to the noxious plants, a person's reaction will continue to worsen.
  • Poison oak, ivy, & sumac can grow in many forms: as ground cover, shrubs, or vines.

As frustrating as poison oak and ivy can be for us nature lovers, it is important to remember that they serve a valuable purpose in our ecosystem. These plants provide food and shelter for a number of creatures. So, if we wish to continue adventuring outdoors, we must find a way to co-exist with these plants… Enter Tecnu®.

Tecnu® Outdoor Skin Cleanser removes urushiol from the skin as well as clothing, tools, and pets. For several years now, we have supplied Tecnu® to fire camps, trail runs, mud runs, and various other events for a 'poison ivy shower.' At the end of the event, you can hop into the shower and/or wash station with Tecnu® to remove the oil before it has a chance to bond with your skin. If your next outdoor event or job site doesn't have a poison ivy shower or wash station, think about what a great addition it could be. With Tecnu® there's no need to fear the ivy!

Live life. Get Outdoors!™

Photo Credit: alloutadventureseries.com

The intention of this blog is to be an informational resource for our customers. We are not medical professionals and are not distributing medical advice. Any questions you have about your health should be directed to a physician. We want to hear from you and welcome your comments - please note all comments submitted will be moderated and we reserve the right to refuse to publish any comment that may be negative, contain foul language, suggest medical advice, or offer tips that may be harmful to our readers. It is not our intention to defame, purge, discriminate or humiliate any party directly or indirectly in any way. We do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information or content contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website. If you have a question or concern that must be replied to right away, please call 1-800-482-4464.

2 comments for “Why You Need a Poison Ivy Shower”

  1. Posted 6/6/2015 at 7:01:00 PM
    Gravatar of Mary

    I have bad poison Ivy so itchy and weepy I have Ivarest cream not helping much. Please help.

  2. Posted 6/8/2015 at 3:20:51 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

    Mary, you may consider trying our Calagel Medicated Anti-Itch Gel, or our Tecnu Rash Relief Spray. Both treatments are helpful for relief from poison oak and ivy rash symptoms. If your rash is severe, you should see your doctor.

Post a comment

©2014 Tec Laboratories Inc. | 1-800-482-4464 | 7100 Tec Labs Way SW, Albany, OR 97321 | Contact Us