Peter and Poison Oak

By Caileen  |  Monday, May 6, 2013  |  , , , , , ,  |  Leave comment

Sometimes it pays to listen to your wife!Poison ivy and oak warning

Dear Readers:

Being that poison oak and ivy season is just around the corner, I thought I would share a personal story with you in hopes of helping you (or your stubborn husband) avoid the dreaded rash. Perhaps you just may learn from my sweet husband's mistake.

A few weeks ago, Peter (my husband) was working at a job site (he operates heavy equipment for an excavating company) where the land had been undeveloped for years and the poison oak was abundant.  One day, Peter came home and began telling me how thankful he was that he worked in the cab of the dozer all day long, and didn't have to be out on the ground much, (other than to take a restroom {aka, port-a-john} break) because of the thick poison oak surrounding the property. I immediately realized that my husband was not aware of secondary contamination, and although he wasn't out in the brush, that he was still susceptible to coming into contact with urushiol oil (rash causing oil from poison oak, ivy, and sumac). I explained that there was the possibility that he could get poison oak rash, and recommended that he wash up with Tecnu® in the shower when he comes home at the end of the day, just in case.  To which he replied, it wasn't necessary because he wasn't "touching" the poison oak, and that he would be fine; and I thought to myself, "Alright then, suit yourself Mr., we'll see who has the last laugh." I vow that I have empathy, except when you blatantly ignore my advice, then you're on your own!

Can you guess what happened next? {What happens to all men who don't listen to their wives' well-intended advice, of course!} A couple days later, Peter got poison oak rash where NO ONE wants to have poison oak rash. That's right ladies and gents! If my hubby had listened to me when I tried to explain secondary contamination to him, he wouldn't have gotten himself into this predicament! But, what could his wife who works for the makers of Tecnu® and Tecnu Extreme® possibly know? I felt sorry for the poor guy for all of about 1 second, until I recalled that he had been fairly warned (and provided with free product)! Secondary contamination is no joke, and Peter now agrees! For those of you who didn't get a chance to read my previous post regarding secondary contamination, I would recommend giving it a once over!  And just as a reminder, urushiol oil can last for YEARS on items such as:

  • Gardening tools
  • Gloves
  • Shed Door Handles
  • Fire Wood
  • Garden Shoes/Work Boots
  • Clothing
  • Pets (yes, even your pets!)

The moral of this story is: don't leave poison oak or ivy rash up to chance! Keep Tecnu or Tecnu Extreme in your shower during these few, cherished months we get to spend outdoors, and enjoy your spring and summer rash free! OH yeah, and sometimes it pays to LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE!

The intention of this blog is to be an informational resource for our customers. We are not medical professionals and are not distributing medical advice. Any questions you have about your health should be directed to a physician. We want to hear from you and welcome your comments - please note all comments submitted will be moderated and we reserve the right to refuse to publish any comment that may be negative, contain foul language, suggest medical advice, or offer tips that may be harmful to our readers. It is not our intention to defame, purge, discriminate or humiliate any party directly or indirectly in any way. We do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information or content contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website. If you have a question or concern that must be replied to right away, please call 1-800-482-4464.

Post a comment

©2014 Tec Laboratories Inc. | 1-800-482-4464 | 7100 Tec Labs Way SW, Albany, OR 97321 | Contact Us