We take a great deal of pride that our Licefreee!
products provide effective treatment and are
completely non-toxic to humans. We use naturally occurring
ingredients to kill lice and their eggs and our formula is free of
the pesticide permethrin: a
topical insecticide used to treat head lice and nits, scabies, and
various species of ticks.
Permethrin is the active ingredient used in several
over-the-counter products to treat head lice and is approved by The
Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Here are some pieces of information obtained from the EPA
Factsheet on Permethrin.
We encourage you to visit their site to learn more about the
health risks of using products that contain this pesticide.
"Permethrin was first registered and tolerances established in
the United States in 1979 for use on cotton. The registration
was made conditional due to the need for additional toxicology and
ecological effects data to fully evaluate carcinogenicity and
aquatic risk, respectively.
After additional toxicity data were reviewed, EPA concluded that
permethrin was a weak carcinogen. Further, laboratory studies
indicated that permethrin was highly toxic to fish and aquatic
invertebrates; therefore, it was classified as Restricted Use
pesticide (RUP) for the cotton use."
For More Information
For more information about EPA's pesticide registration program,
the Permethrin RED, or registration of individual products
containing permethrin, please contact the Special Review and
Registration Division (7508P), Office of Pesticide Programs, U.S.
EPA, Washington, D.C. 20460, telephone 703-308-8000.
Treatments that are pyrethrum or permethrin based may trigger
reactions in those who are allergic to ragweed. Be sure to check
the ingredients or talk to a doctor or pharmacist before choosing a