7 Steps to Cleaning Your Home after a Head Lice Infestation

share!
By Caileen  |  Friday, July 08, 2011  |  ,  |  66 comments

girl vacummingAn estimated 12 million cases of lice will occur this year according to the National Pediculosis Association and chances are your child or someone you know will be affected by a head lice infestation.  Head lice are more of a nuisance than a health hazard but it is important to act quickly to relieve your family of the inconvenience and discomfort of lice infestation.

Lice cannot survive more than 1-2 days without a human host and they cannot live on pets. Eggs will die within 2 weeks once they are dislodged from the hair shaft and host.  It is not necessary to use pesticide sprays on furniture, rugs or personal items and in many cases, this will cause more harm to your home environment than good. Your time will be much better spent combing nits and lice from the hair and following these steps to kill head lice in infested items.

1. Gather all personal items such as Combs, Brushes, Hats, Hair Clips, Headbands, Headsets, Helmets, Clothing, Stuffed Animals, Costumes, Pillows and Coats for clean up.

2. Soak all hair care items (such as combs, brushes, hair clips, etc.) in hot water (130°F) for 15 minutes.

3. For items that cannot be soaked in hot water such as headsets or helmets, place them in a tightly sealed plastic bag and put them in a freezer for 10-12 hours to kill the lice and eggs.

4. Wash all bedding and clothing that your child has used in hot water (at least 130°F) OR run them through your dryer's hottest setting for at least 30 minutes. Be sure to dry clean items that cannot be washed.

5. Place items that cannot be cleaned or run through the dryer (i.e. stuffed animals and toys) in a tightly sealed plastic bag for 10-14 days.

6. Follow up with the vacuum to get rid of any lice dust or egg shells that were left behind. According to the NPA, vacuuming is the safest way to remove lice and fallen hairs with attached nits from upholstered furniture, rugs, stuffed animals, or car seats- wherever someone with head lice may have rested their head.

7. Conduct a family head check once a week.  You'll need an egg removal comb, a magnifying glass and lots of light.

The intention of this blog is to be an informational resource for our customers. We are not medical professionals and are not distributing medical advice. Any questions you have about your health should be directed to a physician. We want to hear from you and welcome your comments - please note all comments submitted will be moderated and we reserve the right to refuse to publish any comment that may be negative, contain foul language, suggest medical advice, or offer tips that may be harmful to our readers. It is not our intention to defame, purge, discriminate or humiliate any party directly or indirectly in any way. We do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information or content contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website. If you have a question or concern that must be replied to right away, please contact info@teclabsinc.com or call 1-800-482-4464.

66 comments for “7 Steps to Cleaning Your Home after a Head Lice Infestation”

1. Posted 1/24/2012 at 12:40:27 PM
    Gravatar of DWSupplies

This is a great piece of useful information and something you don’t thing about. Its obvious treating the lice in the hair but in carpets and bedding is not something most people would think about. The toys in a bag is the best idea.

Great article

2. Posted 10/20/2012 at 5:17:11 AM
    Gravatar of crystal stephens

Its been 2 days since my family and home been treated with headlice, im always drying and washing and keeping all clothes up should i still be cleaning like this my family has no live lice but i have found nits i check everyones hair like 3 times a day since i found out we had lice. i just wanna make sure im doing everythibg right

3. Posted 10/25/2012 at 9:10:40 AM
    Gravatar of Ves K

Great article. I like tip 5! "Place items that cannot be cleaned or run through the dryer (i.e. stuffed animals and toys) in a tightly sealed plastic bag for 10-14 days." The natural remedy is to just wait them out! lol

Ves K
    Founder
    www.cleanpopo.com

4. Posted 10/29/2012 at 9:26:00 AM
    Gravatar of Lisa

Sounds like you are doing all the right steps and that you have done a great job cleaning up. If you haven't used a product like Licefreee Spray that kills the nits, I would recommend to keep picking out those nits daily until you don't see them anymore. A second treatment in 7 days can also help prevent a reinfestation since nits hatch within 7-10 days.

5. Posted 5/24/2013 at 8:15:20 PM
    Gravatar of Maureen

What do you do with pillowsand feather pillows?

6. Posted 5/29/2013 at 12:30:20 PM
    Gravatar of Lisa

Bag up pillows that can't be washed or dried for 10 days and then vacuum them. The lice will not survive when off a human host for that long.

7. Posted 8/1/2013 at 7:19:33 PM
    Gravatar of michelle

What about clothes? Do I need to wash clothing that's clean and hasn't been worn?

8. Posted 8/2/2013 at 1:59:55 PM
    Gravatar of Lisa

If you have clothing that is put away and hasn't been worn or in contact with the infested person's head/hair, you shouldn't have to wash them. We suggest washing clothing and sheets that the person who has lice has come in contact with. Hair may fall off with lice still attached or lice can become dislodged while scratching. The goal is to wash them off these items before they can crawl onto a new host.

9. Posted 4/15/2014 at 9:06:57 AM
    Gravatar of sharon

I have a problem my grandchildren keep head lice. Every time they come over I have to treat them and me. It has gotten to the point that I check them before they even come in the house. Every time they come over one of them have head lice. I have tried everything. Please help

10. Posted 4/28/2014 at 11:00:32 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Checking the children regularly is a great way to keep infestations at bay, or to catch them before they become a bigger problem. We would also suggest switching their regular daily shampoo to Licefreee Everyday 2 in 1 conditioning shampoo, to help prevent infestations.

11. Posted 7/22/2014 at 4:50:40 PM
    Gravatar of Meagan

What do you do about their beds? We don't have a dryer. So if we keep the clothes in a bag outside for two days would that work? My niece keeps getting them. HELP.

12. Posted 7/23/2014 at 2:19:16 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Meagan: For beds, it is important to wash all of the linens in warm/hot water, followed by drying on high heat for at least 30 minutes. If you do not have a dryer, you may consider a laundromat. Also, a thorough vacuum cleaning of the mattress will pick up anything that may have fallen off of the head. As for clothing, we recommend the same washing/drying process as we do for bedding. If you are unable to get to a laundromat, it is best to put clothing and/or linens into a plastic bag for 10-14 days. Lice typically perish within 48 hours off of the human head, however, eggs(nits) can live up to 10-14 days off of the human head.

13. Posted 8/1/2014 at 7:04:47 AM
    Gravatar of Sheryl Gaston

While on vacation I found that both of my kids had lice. So we went about all the steps you stated above. My question is that a week later we are finally home, I have done all of the above to my home, but my question is, what about the other toys (not soft items) that were laying on the floor when we left. Do I need to bag up items such as notebooks, books, and other hard toys after being away from the house for 7 days? I am not even sure that my kids had it while at home, but I figured better to be safe than sorry.

14. Posted 8/6/2014 at 8:22:23 PM
    Gravatar of jen

How is it every second week my daughter has live bugs?? We have ripped out any carpet we have treated her with nix and someone suggested soaking her hair in rubbing alcohol which we have done, but still they keep coming back ....I am exhausted, we live in the country and have month neighbours so its not like they are getting it from somewhere please plese help us .

15. Posted 8/18/2014 at 10:48:57 AM
    Gravatar of blake

We have been so frustrated by head lice this summer. They will not go away!! Going to try and find this product and take the advice in the blog....never been so frustrated!!

16. Posted 8/18/2014 at 10:55:36 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Blake: I am sorry to hear about your struggles with lice this summer! You can find Licefreee Spray! at Wal-mart, Walgreens, and Dollar General. Please let us know if you have any questions, or need more information!

17. Posted 8/19/2014 at 8:21:39 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Sheryl: It is not necessary to bag hard items such as those you mentioned. A thorough vacuum cleaning of the floors, mattresses, and furniture should pick up anything that may have fallen off.

18. Posted 8/19/2014 at 8:34:41 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Jen: It sounds as if the eggs have not been killed, and are hatching and starting the infestation over again every couple of weeks. You may consider using Licefreee Spray, our product that kills BOTH lice and nits (eggs). All you have to do is spray (dry hair) to saturate all of the hair and scalp, then let it air dry. Once dried, the treatment in complete. At that time you can wash the hair, or comb out the eggs if desired.

19. Posted 8/20/2014 at 12:21:42 PM
    Gravatar of Trac

I have a child that I cannot keep off the floor, as he has special needs and doesn't understand. He tends to touch the carpet or furniture with his head, no matter how hard i have tried. We have been fighting the problem for almost a month. Any suggestions. We have tried borax, salt, and cleaned the carpet ourselves. Should we get the carpet and floors professionally steam cleaned?

20. Posted 8/26/2014 at 11:38:19 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Hi Trac: I am sorry to hear that you have been having such a difficult time with lice! Treating the carpet with the products/cleaners you listed is actually not necessary; a thorough vacuum cleaning will do the trick to pick up anything that may have fallen off of your son's head. Unfortunately, that may mean vacuuming every day for a couple of weeks until you can be sure the problem has ended. You may also consider visiting our Resources page for more helpful hints and tips regarding lice: http://licefreee.com/en/resources/helpful-hints-and-tips/

21. Posted 8/26/2014 at 6:21:26 PM
    Gravatar of gina johnson

A friend called to tell us the five children that we had over for the weekend have head lice. We will not have any other guests in those two bedrooms for the next weeks. Can we just let the critters die and vacuum them up rather than washing five beds!! Thank you

22. Posted 9/3/2014 at 2:58:19 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Gina: Yes. Although, we would recommend washing and drying the bedding on high heat, and thoroughly vacuuming the carpeting and mattresses in those rooms. Your method will suffice, so long as you leave the doors closed, and the rooms remain unoccupied for 14 days.

23. Posted 9/20/2014 at 5:43:48 PM
    Gravatar of tinker

Where do you find the licefreee spray at walmart, as in what department

24. Posted 9/30/2014 at 5:04:02 AM
    Gravatar of Angela

Can clothing be washed in cold water and hung to dry? I'm afraid hot water will shrink my clothing. There are too many to send to the dry cleaners.

25. Posted 10/4/2014 at 7:09:32 PM
    Gravatar of sara

My husband and I have never had lice, we just found the nits on both our boys. We've went out and bought a kit, washed bedding, quarantined pillows and stuffed animals, tomorrow our house will get a major once over. Will it be okay if the boys go to school on Monday? Should I write the nurse a note? What is the protocol if they have been treated over the weekend?

26. Posted 10/7/2014 at 9:53:04 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Tinker: Licefreee® Spray! can be found in the "First Aid" department at Wal-mart, and other similar retailers.

27. Posted 10/7/2014 at 10:20:27 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Angela: Yes, the clothing can be washed in cold water. However, we do recommend drying in medium/high heat for at least 30 minutes to kill any lice or nits that may be on the clothing. If that doesn't work for your clothing, and you have too many to take to the dry-cleaners, the next best thing would be to bag up your clothing in a tightly-sealed plastic bag for 2 weeks.

28. Posted 10/7/2014 at 10:37:21 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Sara: It sounds like you've done a very thorough cleaning, great work! Once the boys have been treated, they can immediately return to school. However, you may check with the nurse to determine if the school has a "no-nit" policy, first. Also, letting her know is a good idea so she can inform parents to keep a look out for lice on their kiddos; this benefits everyone as it helps to put a stop to an outbreak.

29. Posted 10/15/2014 at 3:13:21 PM
    Gravatar of Connie

i work at a nursing home we've had an breakout of head lice.what do we wear to clean a room(gown,gloves,head cover)?I need to know for our safety. Thank you

30. Posted 11/5/2014 at 12:42:41 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Hi Connie: It isn't necessary to wear a gown, gloves, or head cover when cleaning up after a head lice infestation. Lice are spread through direct head-to-head contact, and it is unlikely that you would become infested during the cleaning process. As a precaution, you could pull your hair back tightly into a braid of bun. Best of luck!

31. Posted 11/8/2014 at 10:28:21 AM
    Gravatar of Laryn

Hi, my daughter came home with lice a couple of months ago we did the whole cleaning routine and I did her head and mine and my husband's. She came home from school Thursday with her head itching and I checked and she once again has lice but neither my husband nor I do. We all use the same hairbrush and I was wondering is this normal for one family member to get them and no one else?

32. Posted 11/12/2014 at 3:50:26 PM
    Gravatar of Blythe

So my girls and I discovered lice in their hair this morning. At the bus stop of course. Thinking, I was in the clear, I washed all the bedding, linens, etc, jackets and more and put the clean laundry on my bed. And now I have lice. Do I have to redo all that laundry? I know that sounds horrible, but I am trying to figure out if that is overkill or what needs to be done!

33. Posted 11/24/2014 at 11:38:33 AM
    Gravatar of Lauren

Can I leave clothes in a closet or drawer for two weeks without touching them? I have put comforters and pillows in large plastic bags but they do not "seal", just tie in a knot on top. is that okay?

34. Posted 12/21/2014 at 8:16:13 PM
    Gravatar of kim

Is the licefree spray ok to spray on couches and mattresses??

35. Posted 12/30/2014 at 2:09:35 PM
    Gravatar of Amy

hi my 7 year old had lice. I have cleaned my house, vacuumed the beds, couches, and floors. So far the others in my home have not had it, nor myself just her. She went to her dads house and he said she has it. But no one in my home does how is that possible?

36. Posted 1/19/2015 at 6:12:41 AM
    Gravatar of Lori

We treated both kids 4 days ago and myself 3 days ago. Every day we have vacuumed floors, recliners, and beds as well as washed bedding and clothes worn each day. No live bugs have been found on our heads during daily head combings. Do I still need to wash bedding and clothes daily and vacuum daily this many days after treatment? I am so stressed out and am OCD about it.

37. Posted 1/20/2015 at 11:09:59 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Kim: We do not recommend using Licefreee Spray on couches and mattresses, as we have not tested the product for that particular use. A thorough vacuum cleaning of the furniture and mattresses should pick up anything that may have fallen off of the head.

38. Posted 1/21/2015 at 12:25:48 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Lori: You have done a fantastic job! You've completed everything we would recommend as far as cleaning around the home is concerned. If you have treated, and are no longer finding live lice, there is no need to continue to wash the bedding and towels every day. This can be a very stressful time, but like I said, you've gone above and beyond!

39. Posted 1/21/2015 at 1:37:50 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Laryn: We're sorry to hear about your troubles with lice, they are such pesky critters! If the 3 of you are sharing a hairbrush, the chances of you and your husband becoming infested are increased. It would be best to have your own hairbrushes/combs to avoid spreading lice when an infestation occurs. Also, to answer your question, yes it is possible that only one family member can have lice and the others do not.

40. Posted 1/21/2015 at 2:43:57 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Blythe: Lice can be so frustrating! As a rule of thumb, after those who have become infested are treated, and the house is cleaned, it isn't necessary to continue cleaning and washing everything in sight. However, if you find live lice, we would recommend treating again and cleaning the home. To make the cleaning process a bit easier, not everything has to be run through both the washer AND dryer. In fact, most items can be placed directly into the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat. This will do the trick to kill any critters that may be on the items!

41. Posted 1/21/2015 at 3:23:08 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Lauren: That could work, although we would recommend either placing the items in plastic bags that can be (completely) sealed for two weeks, or into the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat.

42. Posted 1/24/2015 at 8:22:15 PM
    Gravatar of Hollie

My kids and i are staying at a family members we have been here since monday today my daughter was scratching her head and i checked to find nits only we have had no one at our home since coming here do i need to clean everything at our home and here or being that we havent had a "host" at our house its ok to not worry about it there i dont want to have to do everything twice if there isnt anything wrong with both homes

43. Posted 1/29/2015 at 8:24:15 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Hollie: Cleaning both homes wouldn't be a bad idea and here's why- while the bugs themselves typically only live off of a human host for 24-48 hours, the nits(eggs) can survive for much longer (approximately 10-14 days). If you plan to return to your home before 14 days, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wash the bedding and linens as well as complete a thorough vacuum cleaning of the furniture, carpeting, & mattresses. The cleaning process can be daunting, but it's better to be safe than sorry! Also treating the family with Licefreee Spray!® can kill any bugs and nits that may still be alive on the head.

44. Posted 1/29/2015 at 9:20:41 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Amy: Just because one individual in the home has lice, does not guarantee that other family members will get them. That's a good thing :). Less treating to do. You've done a great job with the cleaning; you've done everything we would recommend. Is it possible that your daughter's father is seeing eggs that were treated, but missed during the comb-out? That is actually quite common. However, if he is seeing live bugs, she should be treated.

45. Posted 2/6/2015 at 1:24:27 PM
    Gravatar of Unknown

Since we can 't put our down pillows from the couch in the washer, would vacuuming them and putting them in the dryer on high or antibacterial setting for 30-45 minutes do the trick? Or would you suggest bagging up all loose/decorative pillows from the couch and beds and tying them up in a trash bag for 2 weeks? Also, what is the best way to clean your hardwood floors to effectively remove any lice or nits? Can we use the normal hardwood cleaners? Is vacuuming and getting a thorough car cleaning enough, or should we get some type of spray for the leather seats too? Lastly, my husband purchased some of the Licefreee shampoo today. He says it can be used everyday. Is that safe? We've already completed 2 shampooing treatments over the past 3 days. I also spend 2.5 hours in front of a bright, sunny window yesterday going through every strain of her hair. We had washed every article of clothing, bedding, and the stuffed animals she sleeps with , vacuumed every floor in the house, quarantined all the comforters and throw pillows, removed and washed her car seat cover, wiped down the car head rests with Lysol, ....you name it. I thought she was good, but when I took her to school this morning, the nurse and I found at least a dozen more nits! Help!! What else can we do?? My husband is at home now rewashing everything. He has vacuumed every inch of the couches and chairs. Tied up any additional loose pillows in the house, vacuumed all the mattresses, bed pillows, carpets, etc. What are we missing??

46. Posted 2/8/2015 at 9:28:36 PM
    Gravatar of laura

My daughter was at our neighbors when they discovered one of their kids had lice. I have sacked up everything she was wearing including coat and shoes for 24 hours now. Is it ok to now wash and dry her coat and shoes or should I leave it sacked up?

47. Posted 3/21/2015 at 1:27:17 PM
    Gravatar of Megan

The preschool my daughter goes to had sent home with her some generic version of NIX Lice and Nit shampoo and Lice/bug spray but not the gel that directions say is the 2nd step before combing through with nit comb. I just combed her hair without the gel since she had no indications of live lice and only nits which took a frustrating 3-4 hours to treat, combing being the longest process obviously. Is the gel necessary seeing how it is Step 2 of the directions? Also, I have a terrible memory. I can't recall what all my daughter may've came into contact with when she was contaminated (how long could she have gone with nits in her hair unnoticed anyways?) so I've washed all of our clothes, bedding, and throw covers, no biggie. BUT as far as hair bows, hats, hair bands, etc. that I'm not comfortable throwing away or in the washer or dryer due to the chances being taken of them ruining. Do you suggest ziplock bag these hair accessory items for the 10-14 days? Could there be any chance that they could live on a loose fallen hair stuck to bow in bag? Thank you for your advice in advance.

48. Posted 3/24/2015 at 7:41:33 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Unknown: Yes, in fact you don’t have to run everything through the washer and dryer. You can simply throw everything straight into the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat to kill anything that may be on them. Vacuuming the hardwood floors and carpeting is best, and what we recommend. Yes, Licefreee Everyday shampoo is designed for daily-use; it is non-toxic. It sounds like you’ve done a thorough cleaning! Don’t be alarmed that you found nits when you took her to the nurse, it can be so hard to find them all. Especially if you’ve been staring at her head for hours on end combing. The key is, if you don’t see any live lice there isn’t anything to be too alarmed about. If you treated her with Licefreee (Spray or Gel), and fully saturated her hair and scalp, everything that came into full-contact with the product (nits included) should be dead. You’re doing a great job, lice can be so aggravating!

49. Posted 3/24/2015 at 7:45:48 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Laura: Yes, you can wash the items and dry them on high heat for at least 30 minutes. This will kill anything that may be on them and will be a much faster process than waiting the 10-14 days if you keep them sealed in a sack.

50. Posted 3/24/2015 at 7:49:43 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Megan: I’m sorry to hear about your struggle with lice! They can be very, very aggravating! As far as Nix® goes, I cannot answer questions about those products as they are not made by our company. We make non-toxic Licefreee Spray, an easy-to-use spray-on treatment that kills lice AND nits (eggs). It’s hard to pin-point who may have come into contact with your daughter, especially when you can’t be sure when her infestation began. Just do your best to notify those that you can think of. It’s also hard to say how long she may have been infested for; the more eggs (nits) in her hair, the longer the infestation has been going on. For reference, an adult (female) louse can lay up to 100 eggs in her lifetime of approximately 30 days. As far as the hair accessories go, another option is to secure them in a Ziplock® baggie and freeze them for 8-10 hours. This will kill any critters that may be on them. To answer your last question, yes it is possible, although, the likelihood of that happening is very slim.

51. Posted 4/21/2015 at 4:30:33 PM
    Gravatar of Lisa

If beds were vacant for 7 days after discovering the kids had lice, do you still need to wash all the bedding in hot water and hot dry? Or do the lice die in 1-2 days without human blood? The dad is convinced he need do nothing since they have not been at his house all week and I fear re infestation. Thanks

52. Posted 5/11/2015 at 9:09:22 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Lisa: it’s true that lice will die within 24-48 hours off of the human head. However, if you live in a climate that is hot and humid, nits (lice eggs) can live off of the human head anywhere from 10-14 days. For that reason, we would recommend cleaning the bedding and linens. Items can go directly into the dryer on high heat for at least 30 minutes. Also, a thorough vacuum cleaning of the floors and mattresses will help pick up any lice or nits that may have fallen from the head.

53. Posted 6/2/2015 at 12:52:45 PM
    Gravatar of Brittney

I am at a lost how to clean them off car seats? I can't take the head cover off?

54. Posted 6/4/2015 at 3:25:17 PM
    Gravatar of Stacie

If nits die 2 weeks after being off a host, what is the reason for recommending an airtight bag vs. hanging untouched in a closet or in a tub or bag not totally airtight? Also, where are the lice if a person only has nits?

55. Posted 6/8/2015 at 10:46:45 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Brittney, a thorough vacuum cleaning should do the trick on car seats. Another option would be to run a lint roller over the car seat to pick up any lice or nits that may have fallen from the head.

56. Posted 6/8/2015 at 3:08:19 PM

Stacie,
    placing items in a tightly sealed bag ensures that if any nits were to hatch, they would be contained to that bag; rather than risking the chance of them potentially moving about to search for a host. If a person only has nits (head lice eggs) on their head, it is likely that the lice have moved on to another host.

57. Posted 6/15/2015 at 7:29:26 AM
    Gravatar of Azul Saxelby

I live in Arizona its 100 by 9am u know, can I put like pillows and couch cushions outside in the sun and cook the critters, and be ok by the end of the day ?

58. Posted 6/19/2015 at 11:22:27 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Azul, we cannot be sure if this method would be effective. Our recommendation is to vacuum items such as furniture and mattresses, and to place towels, blankets, and sheets into the dryer on high heat for at least 30 minutes.

59. Posted 6/21/2015 at 10:18:43 PM
    Gravatar of jess

Can my dog get this from my kids? And do I need to wash all clothes even ones not worn? Thank you

60. Posted 7/14/2015 at 8:35:53 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Jess, no, your dog cannot get lice from your kids. Human lice, are two different species that are host-specific. As for the clothing, if they haven't been worn, hand haven't been in contact with clothing your children have been wearing, they shouldn't be a concern. If you are unsure, it's always best to be cautious and either bag or wash the clothing.

61. Posted 7/18/2015 at 4:48:36 AM
    Gravatar of Weary

What about leather furniture? It can't really be vacuumed-just wiped down. Is it ok to use leather cleaner on the leather & vacuum any parts that are material underneath the cushions?

Also regarding beds-do I have to vacuum every inch of the mattress and box spring? All sides? Thanks

62. Posted 7/27/2015 at 2:39:21 PM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Weary, yes, wiping down the furniture with whatever method you normally use would work just fine; vacuuming underneath would be good as well. As for beds, a thorough vacuum cleaning of the surface of the mattress and around the seams is what we typically recommend. It is unlikely that you'd need to worry about the box spring.

63. Posted 7/29/2015 at 10:53:15 AM
    Gravatar of Camron

We found lice on our kids and have treated them all. My concern is that the day before lice was discovered they folded lots of laundry and left them on our loveseat is it necessary to rewashthem all or would they be ok just in the dryer on hi heat for 30 mins

64. Posted 7/30/2015 at 6:21:31 AM
    Gravatar of Kathy

My grand daughters friend came over she had been here several hours before I found out she had nits and lice! I have been on a cleaning frenzy. Even treating my granddaughter with mayonnaise to be precaution! My question is if I put all the bagged items pillows stuffed animals ect in the freezer for 10-12 hours will they be lice free and ready to use and play with again?

65. Posted 7/30/2015 at 7:44:42 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Camron, yes, it would be ok to simply put the clothing straight into the dryer on high heat for at least 30 minutes. That should do the trick!

66. Posted 8/3/2015 at 8:37:46 AM
    Gravatar of Caileen

Kathy, Yes, those items can be placed in the freezer for 10-12 hours to kill anything that may be on them. Another option is to put them into the dryer on high heat for at least 30 minutes.